Friday, June 11, 2010

cooking up color

I'm back at it again, making big color field sculptures out of used book covers and spines. My studio is filled with all these gorgeous colors now and I feel like a kid in a candy shop! I just finished "Ground To Stand On" (pictured here) and it is going into a show in July at the Bedford Gallery in Walnut Creek, along with several other sculptures I have made out of books. I am working on a second larger piece (you can see pieces of it where I assemble it on the floor) that is filled with blues, oranges, beige and reds. This one is taking longer to come together - like a conversation that isn't exactly to the point and takes a little more patience - but I'm enjoying the process. Early morning sessions are necessary now - sometimes I just sit with my cup of tea and stare at the piece until I figure out what to do next.